Cost Dashboards in CloudCheckr CMx
The sheer breadth of CloudCheckr CMx cost data allows you to examine your overall cloud costs from every angle. But, sometimes, you want drill into that data and focus a few discrete data points—like costs in a selected region or usage associated with specific services—and see those results in a user-friendly visual summary.
CloudCheckr CMx now offers that functionality and flexibility with the launch of Cost dashboards, which you can find right on the Home page:
This topic will show you how to set up your Cost dashboards and modify those dashboards as your cost requirements change.
You must ensure that your permission set includes the following permissions:
view cost summary reports
manage dashboardsIf you only want a user to view data, you will only need the
view cost summary reportspermission.
Click a button to learn more about the actions you can perform on your Cost dashboards:
Any CloudCheckr CMx customer or cloud vendor—regardless of account type—can create a CloudCheckr CMx Cost dashboard.
- Launch CloudCheckr CMx.
- Click + NEW button on the left side of the Home page:
A New Pane sub-drawer opens.
- Complete the required fields, at a minimum, and any optional fields you feel are needed for your Cost dashboards.
Click Fields to view a description of each field:
Type a name for the Cost dashboard. CloudCheckr CMx will display it in the top-left corner.
From the Pane Type drop-down menu, select Cost. Currently, cost is the only available pane option.
Click the Applicable Providers and select one or all the following cloud providers: AWS, Azure, or Google.
From the Chart Type drop-down menu, select one of the following chart formats:
- Stacked Bar
- 100% Stacked Bar (converts values to percentage of the total)
- Table (similar structure of a CSV export)If you select Table, you won't be able to export the data to a .PNG format.
From the X-Axis drop-down menu, select a property to display on the x-axis of your graph.
From the Y-Axis drop-down menu, select a cost type to display on the y-axis of your graph.
From the Date Range drop-down menu, select one of the built-in date ranges or select a custom date range:
From the Group By drop-down menu, select aggregate to show total cost or select one of the following properties on which to further refine your data:
- Account ID: the unique ID of a CloudCheckr CMx account
- Service Category: a container for related services in CloudCheckr CMx
- Service: a cloud-based product designed to help you optimize your deployment
- Location: geographic region where you want to focus your cost analysis
- Service Sub-Type: a sub-set of functions within a selected service
This field is only selectable if you chose a Group By property. Click the up or down arrows to select a number.
Category limit refers to the number of categories you want to be visible in the chart ordered by spend. CloudCheckr CMx will group all other categories by Other.
(only if you selected a Group By option)
From the Service Category drop-down menu, select a service category from the list or select uncategorized if you don't want to filter by one of listed service categories.
Here is an example of what your completed pane will look like:
- Click SAVE.
CloudCheckr CMx will create a new pane on the Home page and display a message indicating that it is building your Cost dashboard.
When CloudCheckr is done building your Cost dashboard, you will see your complete Cost data in the pane:
You can modify any of your Cost dashboards by following these steps:
- Click (pencil icon) in the pane you want to modify.
The Edit Pane sub-drawer opens.
For this example, let's edit the Daily Cost By Service pane we created in the first procedure:
- Make any changes to your Cost dashboard options and click SAVE.
You can also click DELETE to remove the pane from your Home page. You cannot undo this action. You can also click CANCEL to leave the pane as you originally configured it and return to the Home page.
The Cost dashboards in CloudCheckr CMx allow you to focus on specific data points in your graph.
- Hover over any data point in your graph.
In this example, we pointed our cursor over the light blue section in the third stacked bar in this graph.
CloudCheckr CMx displays more information about your selected data point. The text bubble tells us that the light blue refers to the cost of the Amazon EC2 service for January 31, 2021:
One of the highlights of the Cost dashboards is that you can export your pane to a CSV file or PNG format—which is handy when you want to show Cost data to your team, a customer, or even your CEO.
- Click (cloud icon) in the pane whose data you want to export.
- From the fly-out menu, choose Export data to CSV or Export pane to PNG: