Creating Multi-Account Views with Account Tags
CloudCheckr allows you to create Multi-Account Views (MAVs), which allow you to look at all the resources in multiple accounts through a single view. CloudCheckr enables you to tag individual accounts and designate tags in the MAV to identify which accounts will be combined. With MAVs, you can create complex views across large sets of accounts and slice and dice data across multiple tags.
Example Use Case
Traditionally, customers who utilize AWS consolidated billing use MAVs. These customers apply the same tag to each CloudCheckr account that is part of the consolidated family, and use that tag to create a MAV. However, there are other practical uses for this setup.
Here is an example use case, where a customer has four AWS accounts utilizing consolidated billing.
Accounts A and B are used for their QA environment. Accounts C and D are used in their production environment.
They create two account tags on Accounts A and B:
- Tag 1: All Accounts
- Tag 2: QA Environment
- Tag 1: All Accounts
- Tag 2: Production Environment
Using these tags, the customer creates two MAVs.
Multi-Account View 1 is configured using the All Accounts tag. This allows them to see reports spanning all of their consolidated accounts. They create a second Multi-Account View that uses the QA Environment tag. This allows them to view and monitor only the resources that run within their QA environment.
The third Multi-Account view is configured with the Production Environment tag. This provides a view into all of the resources running within their Production environment.Multi-Account Views provide you with the flexibility to see rolled-up reports across whichever accounts you'd like.
Creating Multi-Account Views and Tagging Accounts
CloudCheckr allows you to tag the accounts you'd like when you create a MAV. Follow these steps to get your MAV up and running quickly:
- Click the Create New Multi-Account View button.
- Type an appropriate name for this view, and click Create.
- CloudCheckr will prompt you to choose the tags you want to apply to your MAV. If you do not have any tag , you can click the Or create a new tag link.
- In the Create new Tag dialog box, type a name for your tag, and choose which accounts to add to the tag.
CloudCheckr will use the accounts that you select here to build the reports within the MAV.
- Click the Create button. CloudCheckr will begin building reports within your MAV using the your tagged accounts.