Configure a Google Cloud Account in CloudCheckr CMx
To connect your Google Cloud account to CloudCheckr CMx, you must create and configure a Google Cloud account in the CloudCheckr CMx environment.
This workflow shows you what steps you must perform in CloudCheckr CMx and in your Google Cloud Platform Console to create a successful configuration.
Click the drop-down boxes to review and follow each step in this workflow.
- Launch CloudCheckr CMx.
- In the Search bar at the top of the screen, type Account Hierarchy.
- From the Accounts tab, click the + CREATE button.
- Select Account from the fly-out menu.
The Create Account sub-drawer opens.
- Type a name for your account.
- From the Cloud Provider drop-down list, select Google.
- From the Location drop-down menu, select an option if you want to place your account within an existing folder.
- Click SAVE.
A service account is a type of account used by an application or a virtual machine (VM) instance—not by an individual user. Identified by its email address, a service account lets you control access to the resources in your Google projects.
- In the Google Cloud Platform Console, select IAM & Admin > Service Accounts.
- Click Select a Project and choose your project from the list.
- Click the Create Service Account button.
- Type a name for your service account.
- Select a role you wish to grant to your service account.
CloudCheckr CMx requires read-only access for your environment. We recommend the Project Viewer role.
- Click Save.
To use a service account outside of Google Cloud, you must create service account keys as a secure way to establish the identity of the service account.
- Return to the Services Account page in the Google Cloud Platform Console.
- Follow the instructions in the Creating and managing service account keys topic.
- Make sure to copy your new service account key to a safe location.
- From the Accounts tab on the Account Hierarchy page, click in the row of a selected Google Cloud account.
The Edit Account sub-drawer opens.
- Click the Manage Credentials link.
The Credentials sub-drawer opens.
- Drag the service account key you created earlier to the selected area under Import.
- Click CLOSE.
- Google Project ID
- BigQuery Dataset ID
- BigQuery Table ID
- Verify that you have following permissions:
- Billing Account Administrator role for the selected account
- BigQuery User role for the Cloud project that contains the BigQuery dataset which stores the Cloud Billing data
- Log in to the Google Cloud Platform Console.
- Click Select a Project and choose an existing project from the list. You can also create a project.
- Select BigQuery.
- Follow the instructions in the Export Cloud Billing data to BigQuery topic.
- Copy the Project ID, BigQuery Dataset ID, and BigQuery Table ID to a safe and easily accessible location.
You will need these values in the final procedure, Step 6: Add Your Google Cloud Billing Data To CloudCheckr CMx.
- Return to CloudCheckr CMx.
- From the Accounts tab on the Account Hierarchy page, select the CloudCheckr account where you want to add the Google Cloud billing data.
The Edit Account sub-drawer opens:
- Click the Manage billing data source link.
The Edit Billing Data Source sub-drawer opens.
- Paste the Google Project ID, BigQuery Dataset ID, and BigQuery Table ID that you exported from Google Cloud into the appropriate fields.
- Click SAVE.
If CloudCheckr CMx cannot process your Google Cloud billing configuration, you will see an error message similar to this one:As per the message, check your credentials and try to save your billing configuration again. If the error persists, contact Support and provide them with your unique Credential ID.